On 8/12/07, Ned <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Firstly, is a mixin a good way to do this?

This is one approach - another would be an abstract base class. We (by
which, I mean Malcolm) is currently working on improving the
inheritance capabilities in Django - providing a way to cleanly
implement abstract base classes is one of the goals of this work.

> But management.syncdb() doesn't create any tables, which is because it
> doesn't have any INSTALLED_APPS. But I don't have any django apps,
> just a handful of testing classes.

If you're going to test some functionality with mixins, you're going
to need a test application with some test models; those test
apps/models are what gets installed with a syncdb.

The simplest approach would be to write a simple test app, use the
normal Django test framework on that app, and then not install/include
that test app as part of an end-users installation.

Django's own system tests are a reasonable guide, here. The model
tests and regression tests are 'test apps' that have sample models for
testing specific behaviours. The 'runtests.py' script mocks up an
INSTALLED_APPS setting that syncdb can use. However, there is no need
for the tests directory to be distributed to end user installations.
Have a look at runtests.py and see if you get any inspiration.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)