Thanks a lot Malcolm, I think we are getting there:-)

> So, have a look at the debug screen and click on the "local variables"
> link just below this last line in the extended traceback. What is "s"
> here (in particular, it would be good know what type(s) is)? Also, what
> is the value of 'encoding'?

Here are the values.
encoding: u'utf-8'
errors: u'strict'
s: <django.contrib.thumbnails.base.Thumbnail object at 0x019D4510>
strings_only: False

> what is the current value of 'b' (and it's type)
> in the previous line of the traceback? Again, using the "locals" link on
> the debug page should be able to tell you this.

b: <django.contrib.thumbnails.base.Thumbnail object at 0x019D4510>

Hope I was able to report all the information. If the problem is, like
you suspect, the patch I applied, do you have any suggestion on how to
solve the problem? Maybe modify the patch itself following the
guidelines for transition to Unicode?

Thanks a ton
Francesco