Trying the solution given at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2003-February/007223.html
But even that is not helping. I am on a centOS box, with python
2.3.4.
Tried the following things,
1.
Added  to setup.py
thread_safe_library = NO
(NameError: name 'NO' is not defined)
removed that line.

2.
Added,
include_dirs = [
     '/usr/include/mysql', '/usr/local/include/mysql',
     '/usr/local/mysql/include/mysql'
     ]
library_dirs = [
        '/sw/lib/mysql', '/sw/lib'
     ]

$ python setup.py build

_mysql.c:2815: error: request for member `ob_type' in something not a
structure or union
_mysql.c:2827: error: `Py_eval_input' undeclared (first use in this
function)
_mysql.c:2834: error: syntax error before ')' token
_mysql.c:2838: error: syntax error before ')' token
_mysql.c:2878: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without
a cast
_mysql.c:2883: error: `PyExc_ImportError' undeclared (first use in
this function)

3.
cd /sw/lib/mysql
(that file is not on my system)

So unabl;e to build the  MySQL-python-1.2.2 library.