As often happens, writing the questions gave me the answer at least
to the main problem if not to the single questions on threading.

I ended up writing (interactively) a variable in django.conf.settings
and modified get user to test for INTERACTIVE_USER if it does not
find
any user defined in the thread.

I'd like to make this happen only if I'm running in the interactive
shell
or the development server. How can I test this?

sandro
*:-)