Thanks,

That makes sense. I guess could either patch the login view,
AuthenticationForm or call set_test_cookie() on unauthenticated users
on their first page view, probably through middleware.

One odd thing though: I'm using the sample code from the docs in my
login.html template that tests for form.has_errors and then displays
an error message. I tried listing form.errors to see if I could get a
better error message, but form.errors is empty. Looking at the code
for AuthenticationForm and views.login, forms.errors should contain a
validation error complaining about cookies.

-Justin