Leo wrote:
> Lars, have you made any progress on this?  I agree that only the

Sorry to say: no progress at all:(

> numeric types are interesting as multiple keys, so worrying about
> URL encoding is pointless (i.e., there's no reason to worry about
> supporting multiple arbitrary-string keys).

Well, pointless may be a little bit harsh. One of the previous
arguments was that a lot of effort has been spent on figuring
out a good way of using the URL's to match the django datamodel
and the human user, and the changes for the multiple primary key
would destroy the (pretty nice) URL scheme used today.

So I'd say: yes there's reason to worry about *how* to support
multiple primary keys (including arbitrary string keys), but
there's no reason what-so-ever not to implement it. The multiple
primary key feature would open up for loads of legacy database
applications. The possibilities for django on top of legacy
databases would be endless instead of gravely limited, as is
the case today.

Also, I've seen some work on a native GUI interface being
generated on top of a django db model, and sure enough, from
my point of view, with for example WxWindows, you could with
relative ease create native (multiplatform) GUI interfaces
using django.

Django + webappl + native GUI + python: does it get any better?

Except of course, for the multiple primary keys:(

> I'm trying to convince a team to use Django for new development
> on a large (1M+ records) existing database. The truth is it won't
> happen due to lack of this exact feature -- the existing database
> uses multiple (numeric) keys widely, in very conventional ways.

Well, it's common enough in the RDBMS world.

> When there are other non-Django interfaces still in use by users,
> adding special database id columns for Django's sake is unfeasible.

Very true. I've tried to figure out ways of cheating, finding some
sort of intermediate solution or what-not. No such luck. The only
solution here is to have django handle the typical multiple primary
keys situation.

Sorry to say, I'm not fluent in python, and definitely not in
django internals, otherwise I would have gone for it myself.

Short of that, if anyone's listening, I could do tests on this
subject. I have a good few both smaller and bigger legacy
databases that I would have loved to django-ify.

Cheers
/Lars