I'm in the process of porting my site to Django, and I'm wondering how
to best implement a monthly archive navigation like in Django's
weblog's sidebar: http://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/

I'm using generic views. I basically need the information provided in
date_based.archive_year: the months which have items. But that is a
view, and I want to get the same information into the sidebar of my
site. How should I do that?

I just started using Django a week ago, so this might indeed be really
simple. I haven't had time to thoroughly digest the docs just yet...

  Thanks in advance,
Max Romantschuk