I was rather pleased to read that the above was possible according to
the Django book: http://www.djangobook.com/en/beta/chapter18/ (scroll
down to the section called 'Customizing admin templates')

I've already been overriding the admin templates globally by putting
custom templates in a folder named:
projectname\appname\templates\admin

This works fine.

Apparently you can have app and model specific subdirectories thus:

projectname\appname\templates\admin\appname
and
projectname\appname\templates\admin\appname\modelname

I'm using newforms-admin but will put together a simple test case
against the trunk and post the results here if no-one else can confirm
whether it's a problem in newforms-admin (or in my lousy code ;-)

I'm using 'app_directories' as my template loader. I was previously
using 'filesystem' as I couldn't get it to work any other way but
realised that the order of apps in INSTALLED_APPS was critical when
using 'django.template.loaders.app_directories'. Either way it doesn't
work

In summary my admin override templates kick in fine when I put my
templates in:
template_dir/admin/
but not when I put them in:
template_dir/admin/appname
or
template_dir/admin/appname/modelname
as suggested in the Django book as a way of getting app and model
specific admin customisation.

thanks in advance,

Andy Baker