> Thanks for the response. But to be fair to you I must disclose that I
> anticipated that someone would present this as an answer. I would have
> added this discussion into the original but it was already a bit
> long... :-)

Pesky kids these days, with your music and your anticipation...

> Now when I say expressions, I believe that at least 80% (if not more)
> of my objections could be addressed by allowing the following sort
> construct in template tags only:
>
> {% mytag "${some.context.variable}-arbitrary-${other.variable}-text"
> "Choose ${ parrot.name }!" %}
>
> There... no dirty logic, no arithmetic, nothing really objectionable
> as far as I can see with regards to the stated philosophy, but it
> opens up a whole world of possibilities for the template designer that
> are currently rather difficult and unnecessarily time-consuming to
> accomplish. One could even place this in the split_contents function
> to get halfway there, but I still believe it is most useful when
> implemented by the template parsing system. I mean, even Velocity
> allows this, and they're a good deal more dogmatic about it than the
> Django folks seem to be.

I agree that what you propose here would be useful in the scenario
you've described. *Personally*, if I wanted something like that, I'd
just write a function to do it and use it on my tag arguments.

Quick and dirty implementation (assuming the template library will
allow you to pass your example tag arguments as-is):

    expression_re = re.compile(r'\$\{ *([a-z0-9\._]+) *\}')
    expression_re.sub(resolve_variable(r'\1'), your_tag_argument)

> Again, thank you for the response, and regards,
> -scott anderson

Thanks for the interesting discussion, I only wish I had time to
participate in it properly. 5pm approaches :)

Jonathan.