>         if not request.GET.get('avatarkey',''):
>             raise Http404
>         elif len(request.GET['avatarkey']) != 36:
>             raise Http404

Just as a side-note, these two are a bit redundant.  I'd suggest
either

  if 'avatarkey' not in request.GET or
len(request.GET['avatarkey'] != 36:
    raise Http404

or even just

  if len(request.GET.get('avatarkey', '') != 36:
    raise Http404

because if the key is missing, your default's length is certainly
not 36 either :)

>         else:
>             render_to_response('signup_s2.html',
> {},RequestContext(request))
>     else:
>         raise Http404
>
> Why does this code not work?

Well, you're not doing a "return render_to_response".  If that's
merely a code transcription omission, read on...otherwise, it
would 'splain why it's not returning what you think it should be
returning. :)

I'm slightly confused why you're passing an empty dict() into
your render_to_response() call.  Seems superfluous to me.

Two other questions:

Which version of Django are you using?

What do you mean by "does...not work"?

-tim