On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 22:29 -0500, James Bennett wrote:
> On 9/28/07, Mark Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > i'm looking for a way to perform a bunch of initialization tasks
> > right after django startup.
>
> There really is no such thing as "Django startup"; remember that
> Django is hosted inside a web server, and that server processes will
> come and go over time with no real concept of anything persisting
> beyond the life of a process, unless you serialize out to an external
> store (such as your database, or a file, or memcached). And then
> you'll want to be very careful in how you "initialize", because that's
> probably going to happen every time a server process is started, and
> you'll need to take care that you're not unnecessarily regenerating or
> recalculating something when you could load it from something
> external.

Oops!  Guess I missed that concept because I've only been
playing with the developement server so far.

Hm, this raises some serious scalabity questions for me.
>From your description it sounds like there is no template
fragment caching, not even db connection pooling possible
with django?

And what about integration with a messaging framework
(spread or somesuch) for efficient cluster communications?

These all seem to be basic requirements for scalability
and integration with existing infrastructure.

Any thoughts on that?

-mark