Hi there,

I'm trying to use some editable inline filefields.  My model has Items
and Downloads, Downloads are many-to-one to Items and contain a name,
description and FileField.

When an master object (Items in my case) has exiting inline objects
(Downloads in my case) you can't save any changes to the master
without getting a 'missing required field' error.

This occurs with the inline set to tabular or stacked and the setting
'core' to true or false makes no difference. Setting blank=True does
fix it but of course has the side-effect of allowing items to be saved
with no filenames.

This seems related to the other problem with filefields which is that
there is not display of the current value making it appear as if the
value is blank. A static read-out of the current value would make a
lot more sense to anyone using admin.

The cosmetic issue above might be the cause of the form validation
getting confused as it seems to be taking the empty upload field at
face value (much as I did when I first saw how formfields were
rendered)

There is another cosmetics issue related to inline fields in admin. To
my mind it's not sufficiently clear that the extra rows are for adding
new items. Having some default text next to inline fields and/or
separating the 'add new' rows visually from existing rows would help.

I can't check the behaviour of trunk regarding these issues at the
moment as I only have newforms-admin installed. I also can't find a
ticket that sounds like it covers this although there were some other
tickets on vaguely related issues:

http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/5628
http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/5388

I'd be grateful if anyone can confirm/deny this on trunk. Anyone got
any other thoughts on this?

cheers,

AndyB