Hello Felix,
In a very similar situation I have chosen option 2 for the following
reasons:
 * the code was much more simple, at least simpler to maintain for me
 * Very hight control on the layout of the form.

I have taken this decision after spending several days working on a
"newform" based solution. And just for the record the newform solution
was working fine but was more complex to maintain/debug.

Regards,
--yml