I've done some work on FileField lately that address some of your concerns.

On 10/16/07, Mark Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> * does django properly sanitize the filename or rather, use
>   safe temp files?  i wonder what would happen if i tried to
>   upload a file called "../../traverse.txt"?

I haven't done any testing on that particular situation, so I can't
speak to that one.

> * how can i enforce a filename on the uploaded file?
>   i want to completely ignore the remote name of the file
>   and instead store it as, for example, {{username}}.jpg

There's a ticket[1] in Trac to revamp the way file storage is defined,
which would allow you to override some of how Django selects a
filename. Currently, it won't allow you to use the username, or any
other details of the model the image is attached to, but that's
becoming a common request, so I'll see about adding it before it hits
trunk.

> * anyone know if the PIL stuff is hardened against image bombs?
>   (small images that expand to gigabytes when expanded to bitmap)
>   would it be feasible to subclass ImageFile and replace the PIL
>   calls with some paranoid homegrown stuff (i.e. ImageMagick),
>   anyone know a starting point for this?

The ticket I mentioned above also makes it much easier to subclass
FileField and ImageField to add or change whatever functionality you
like. I don't know whether PIL already does what you need, but if
you're paranoid, this patch should help you out.

-Gul

[1] http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/5361