I am always quite amazed at the horrible rewrite rules that people
often seem to have to resort to, to get fastcgi solutions working, if
that is they get them working.

FWIW, you might want to instead look at mod_wsgi as configuration is a
lot simpler and it will work with Apache 1.3 server on Mac OS X, so
you wouldn't have to upgrade to Apache 2.X. By using Apache 1.3
though, you do loose out on not being able to use daemon mode of
mod_wsgi, which is like fastcgi, but instead use embedded mode, which
is more like mod_python.

For details on mod_wsgi and Django integration see:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi
  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/IntegrationWithDjango

Graham