(my reply via email doesn't appear to have made it to the list - sorry
if the first paragraph is a repeat for anyone)

Thanks Chris, I didn't know about this and it would be the ideal
solution if I could get Dreamhost to install mod_xsendfile! Still
hopefully this will be useful for someone out there who is stuck with
FCGI but has some control over what modules are installed.

Now back to having to do it the laborious way - I remember being told
that django.views.static.serve wasn't meant to be used in a production
environment but in this context it seems to do everything I need (MIME
types etc.). Bearing in mind Django is going to have to handle the
static content for me is there anything wrong with using
django.views.static.serve?