You also want to look here for a suggestion on how to access
settings.MEDIA_URL:

http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2006/jun/14/django-tips-template-context-processors/

I know (at least one of) the ticket(s) for embedding access to the
MEDIA_URL in the default context has been closed as wontfix, but I think
that this is a pretty significant feature that Django forces new users
to figure out how to do their own way. Its effectively a wheel that
nearly everyone is going to have to re-invent. There's many less obvious
ways to a Django newcomer than to use the context processors. I
initially wrote mine as a tag, which exactly as that article says,
seemed a little awkward, but I didn't know any better.

It would be useful to at least have a recommended way of getting access
to MEDIA_URL in the documentation if the Django team feels its
inappropriate to add to the actual codebase (maybe in RequestContext?).

--
--Leo