On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 09:56 -0700, johannes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning to alter an existing hobby-project-site from php and xml/
> xslt scripts into a python web-app.
> I just played around a little bit with django and must say I like it.
> First, having learned php, xslt and python by myself, I must say I'm
> definitely not a professional.
> My existing website is a kind of database, but without a database :-).
> Everything's stored in plain xml files. I have coded these xml-Files
> myself and then written some php/xslt scripts which transform them to
> html and display them in a browser.
> Now, I want to implement a basic authentication dialogue, where people
> can create an account log in and fill out forms which output xml-files
> which are later on (after I reviewed them) accessible via the
> webbrowser as the ones I have already written. This is what I like to
> do with python and django. After this I plan to transfer the existing
> php stuff to python/django.
> As I'm new django and still wondering if this is the right thing for
> what I want to do:
> Is this possible with django? And how do I do this?

You won't be using all of Django in this case. The ORM layer -- all the
models stuff -- won't be of any use to you, since that uses a database.

So, in your views, read and write your XML files just as you would
normally (using, say, Python's standard XML libraries). You will have to
write your own authentication layer and session management, though,
since they, again, depend on Django's ORM.

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Works better when plugged in.