On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 13:06 -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
> birkin wrote:
> > This issue of how to best organize private and local django settings
> > came up at a recent hackfest I attended. Some googling revealed
> > postings by Adrian and others that essentially noted that it's
> > reasonable to assume that different programmers will choose to handle
> > this differently, and, as Malcolm noted above, "...it's a Python file,
> > so feel free to use the full power of the language as you wish."
> >
> > That last idea, though often noted in the documentation, is easy for
> > newbies like myself to forget. My thanks to the developers and others
> > on this list for repeating it. For me a lightbulb went on: "Oh, so I
> > can just import a settings_local.py file? Yes!"
>
> My issue isn't about limitations, it is about the defaults that are
> generated,
> which should conform to some level of "best practices."

Which they already do. There's a trade-off between single simple file
that is easy to maintain versus more complicated setup on the off-chance
that you might want to distribute part of it.

We've gone with the former and made the latter possible. Best of both
worlds. The alternative is possible, but it's the path we've chosen not
to take for the reasons laid out in this thread and others.

You keep writing as if what we're doing is clearly wrong. That's simply
not the case. It's a matter of degrees with advantages and disadvantages
for both approaches.

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/