On Nov 28, 2007 7:44 AM, PlanarPlatypus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2:10 am, Thejaswi Puthraya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > On Nov 27, 8:32 pm, PlanarPlatypus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know of a clean way to do partial validation in djangos
> > > newforms.  I am basically after a cleaner way to do something like the
> > > code below.
> >
> > A clarification...what do you mean by partial validation? Does it mean
> > that you clean each field before cleaning the form. Looks like you
> > have got the fundae wrong. Check out James Bennett's blog
> > onhttp://www.b-list.org/weblog/2007/nov/22/newforms/for how newforms
> > work exactly.
>
> What I mean is "is there a clean way to check if any of the fields are
> valid and if so give me the data from those fields". As you can see,
> at the moment I have to check each field manually for validity.
>
> The basic workflow involves keeping drafts of the users build even if
> they didn't give all the information (Saving the valid values to the
> database).

Wouldn't it be easier just to have required=False for every field in
that case? Presumably you already have the corresponding models fields
as being null/blank?

You could make this configurable when constructing the form, setting
it up with fields required when you're doing final validation, so you
can use the same form for both purposes:

def __init__(draft=False, *args, **kwargs):
    super(MyForm, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
    if draft:
        for field in self.fields:
            field.required = False

Jonathan.