Ken,

There was someone else working on this recently as well, so you might
take a look at the conversation,[1] the beginnings of the code,[2] and
probably contact the author directly to see if you two can't share
ideas. It'd be a shame to duplicate effort. It'd be a great candidate
for a snippet.[3]

-Gul

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/988dcb5f4914c1c1/