Right, sorted this out. When running setup.py build, it will spit out
the compilation command it's executing at the bottom of its output.
You will notice that it doesn't include an x86_64 architecture, so you
need to add one. Edit the command so it looks like:

sudo gcc -Wl,-F. -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -arch i386 -arch
ppc -arch x86_64 build/temp.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5/_mysql.o -L/usr/local/
mysql/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient -lz -lm -o build/lib.macosx-10.5-
i386-2.5/_mysql.so

And run it (notice I added sudo at the beginning, also in theory you
should be okay removing all the other architectures). Then you should
be able to run setup.py install with no problems.

*Phew!*