This is a fairly recent addition to the development trunk, it allows
for named URL patterns.  It is explained in detail at
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/url_dispatch/#naming-url-patterns

In terms of whether you should start writing your url expressions like
that, it's up to you.  If you would like to use named URL patterns,
then you should.  Otherwise, maybe it's not worth the effort.

Hope that helped,
Eric Florenzano