I'm not sure why you're  getting the error that you are seeing, but if
you want to try out Django on Windows without the hassle of
installation, you can check out my site:

http://www.instantdjango.com

There is a download that provides a portable Django development
environment on Windows, no installation required, and it even runs
from a USB key. There is also a tutorial which shows you how to create
a simple Django project.

Although I'm not objective, I think it's a good way to spend you first
hour with Django, especially if you are new to Python, or programming,
or both, and can't quite figure out installation.

Currently I have some major updates planned, including finishing a
second tutorial, and implementing inline comments (like the Django
Book), but the development environment works fine, and will even work
for the official tutorial, or the tutorial in the Django Book.

For a more 'complete' installation, check out the instructions at:

http://thinkhole.org/wp/django-on-windows/

-CJL