Hello Everyone,

you might have previously read posts from me about splicemusic.com,
which now successfully runs on django. Quite a while ago I created the
Freesound Project ( http://freesound.iua.upf.edu ), which in turn became
hugely popular and a victim of it's own success (i.e. drowning in
users). I am now considering rewriting it in django.

Now, I've learned some valuable lessons from writing splicemusic with
django and there are (still) some issues that really bother me. Some
feedback on these rather varied topics would be great.

1. huge numbers of users make the admin almost unusable. Almost any
objects is related to a user (or two). Having to load 500K users in a
form makes for ultra big and slow web pages. Is there a fix for this
somewhere in the future?

2. file uploads are the most vital part of freesound. While I have used
tramline successfully with splice, it still feels like a relatively ugly
solution to me (especially as you need to patch mod_python in order for
it to work). As far as I know streaming file uploads have been on the
todo for more than a year.

3. finegrained permissions. "I only want my friends to be able to edit
my tags." Again people seem to be working on this, but nothing seems to
be making it into trunk. Does anyone have a good soliution for this
particular problem, or is it still really a matter of "roll your own"?

4. profiles and get_profile() in the django User. In splice we noticed
that having to use get_profile() creates a big overhead in queries...
This seemed to fix this problem:
http://www.amitu.com/blog/2007/july/django-extending-user-model/
but seems quite "hacky" as well.

For be it from critisizing django, I'm trying to evaluate again if it's
a good idea to use django for a website which has relatively heavy
demands in bandwidth and a big heap of users (500K and rising about
1K+/day).

I love django, and I had a great time using it for splice, but... these
4 issues still give me headaches :)

  - bram