Thanks for the reply...

I have considered rolling my own along the lines of {{ mytext|
striptags|simple_markup }} but thought I'd ask before I went through
the effort.  In Python there's usually a library for everything.  :)

I've also looked at the optional arguments to Markdown and Textile and
didn't see a way to disable core features specifically.

Cheers,
Rob