I don't know if this is still the case but when I've tried to set
field.choices before now that doesn't change the widget.choices.

Try adding this:
    self.fields['answers'].widget.choices = [(i, a.statement) for i, a in
               enumerate(answers)]

in fact I just checked and now the widget's choices are updated when the
field's choices are set. In my experience, working off trunk doesn't cause
much trouble.

Hope that helps
Ben

--