Well, it really depends on what you want. For instance if you plan to
mess around a lot with JSON, you will have to extend jQuery quite a
bit, since it only comes with the bare minimum of what you need to
handle AJAX-JSON responses. Please correct me, if I'm wrong here, but
I couldn't find a serializer in the jQuery core for JSON nore a parser
that goes beyond evaling what comes in. At least Mootools and
Prototype as well as YUI give you the option to remove everything from
the JSON-string that shouldn't be in there (function calls,
assignments etc.).

I'm currently undecided if I should use Mootools, jQuery or YUI for
future projects. It's really hard to compare them since they all have
totally different design philosophies (with Mootools more going the
prototype-way, jQuery wrapping and chaining everywhere and YUI looking
very functional).

Also if size is an issue, Mootools looks quite nice since in size it's
IMO comparable to jQuery while coming with a quite flexible animation
and effects framework.

Just my 2c :-)

- Horst