Does anyone have suggestions on how to make request.is_secure() work
from behind a reverse proxy? I have nginx proxying to apache but since
nginx (and not apache) is handling SSL the HTTPS environment variable
that is_secure() reads from never gets set.

This is easily solvable for standard redirects from http to https for
certain paths. I can do this by putting them in nginx.conf. However, I
want to have media served over SSL depending on whether the incoming
request is SSL, I have some middleware to do this, but it relies on
is_secure(). Any suggestions?