On Feb 18, 2008 6:20 PM, RichardH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just rebuilt Windows XP on a new hard disk and I have found the same
> problem installing Python 2.5 and the latest SVN checkout (rev 7129).
> Setup.py install doesn't copy across the templates and media folders
> into C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\django\contrib\admin.
> Like Nathan, a manual copy solved the issue.

OK, I finally found a way to recreate this on my WinXP box.  What I have to
do is issue the command:

setup.py install

instead of:

python setup.py install

(However this directly contradicts a note earlier in this discussion where
the poster says it is 'python setup.py install' that does not work, so
ymmv.)

I don't understand the difference, because I thought those two commands were
equivalent.  I checked the file type association for .py files and the
action on open is defined as:

"C:\bin\Python25\python.exe" "%1" %*

(That's the only python installed on this box.)

"Use DDE" is checked, "DDE Message" is empty, "Application" is python, "DDE
Application Not Running" is empty, and "Topic" is System.  Whatever that all
means.

Examining the output of the first command shows that 'install_data' part of
the process doesn't seem to do anything:

running install_scripts
copying build\scripts-2.5\django-admin.py -> C:\bin\Python25\Scripts
running install_data
running install_egg_info
Writing C:\bin\Python25\Lib\site-packages\Django-0.97_pre-py2.5.egg-info

Whereas with the same command preceded by 'python', the 'install_data' step
does work:

running install_scripts
copying build\scripts-2.5\django-admin.py -> c:\bin\Python25\Scripts
running install_data
creating c:\bin\Python25\Lib\site-packages\django\conf\locale
creating c:\bin\Python25\Lib\site-packages\django\conf\locale\ar
creating c:\bin\Python25\Lib\site-packages\django\conf\locale\ar\LC_MESSAGES
copying django\conf\locale\ar\LC_MESSAGES\django.mo ->
c:\bin\Python25\Lib\site-packages\django\conf\locale\ar\LC_MESSAGES
[much more snipped, including creating/copying all the admin media and
template files]

Other than the 'install_data' difference, the output of the two different
ways of invoking setup seems to be identical.

I would be interested if others who have run into this problem can duplicate
the different results of these commands.  Also wondering if people who were
missing templates and media files are also missing locale files?

Karen