Bob,
I think that django would be a good match for what you want.

> 1.need an equivalent option to tomcats servlet filters, to read the
> headers and modify the request before it is processed.

It sounds like you are looking for the middleware option:
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/middleware/

> 2.Custom tags, this will be because the site will be viewed on
> different media with diferent capabilities and different tags, so
> based on things found in requirement 1 these custom tags will be
> replaced with the correct thing.  I call them custom tags because in
> java world that is what I would use.

There are templatetags
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/templates_python/,
of which you can create custom tags, that you can use. But you might
also be able to create different templates based on the contenttype.

Being a former java guy myself, I'd say that django has almost all the
features of the typical spring/hibernate stack, but it's way cooler
and faster to use!

Good Luck,
Matt