On Mar 10, 9:44 am, David Reynolds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On 9 Mar 2008, at 11:23 pm, Brandon Taylor wrote:
>
> > I'm in my 2nd day of using Django, and there are a couple of things
> > I'd like to do, in regards to adding functionality to the outstanding
> > admin interface. These are age-old topics I'm sure, so I thought I'd
> > consult the community for best practices.
>
> > First, I will need to build order-able lists. Typically I've just
> > added a "position" column, and then implemented a flavor of drag-n-
> > drop to change the order, either through script.aculo.us or jQuery,
> > firing an Ajax call to do the ordering.
>
> > Second, sometimes I don't want to show all of the properties in the
> > model via the admin, like the "position" column.
>
> > I found the Django Snippets website, but I don't see a recipe for the
> > aforementioned tasks. I'm very impressed with Django so far. I've had
> > to write a paltry amount of code to accomplish a great deal. Even less
> > than Rails, which, till now, I didn't think could happen.
>
> > So, if anyone could give me some pointers on extending the admin, I
> > would be very grateful!
>
> Brandon,
>
> Whilst there are hacky, workaround kind of ways of doing this with
> the admin system as it currently is, I suspect if wait until newforms-
> admin hits trunk, it'll be a hell of a lot easier to do any admin
> customisation you need to do.

Seeing as how you're only on your second day I would recommend
switching to newforms-admin.

This would then allow you to use some of the helpful tips written by
the super-coder who cobbled together this page:
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/NewformsHOWTO

Your second request (hiding the position field) would be fulfilled by
this answer:
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/NewformsHOWTO#Q:HowdoIuseupdated_atandcreated_ontypefieldsbutstopthembeingdisplayed

Regards,

Felix