Hi Joe,

On Apr 16, 11:28 am, "Joe Bloggs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A nice clean site, I would be interested to know:-

Thanks

> How long it took to develop?

Approximately 5 man months (including all activities). Of these 5
months, only 1 1/2 month have been spent building the actual website
as you see it. The rest of the time has mainly been spent on reverse
engineering a complete mess of an old site. There is a fairly complex
member database behind (the organization has 10.000 members that can
have various sorts of affiliations with lots of groups etc.). Before
this member database was in a MS SQL Server, and had no administration
interface, so the secretaries was manually updating relations in the
database, taking the primary key of one row, and manually inserting it
as a foreign key in another row! Also, the integration of the old
member database on the web, once done through a various TYPO3
extensions that, if documented, were documented and written entirely
in french (a language I hardly speak :). On top of that, the  old
database was in many respects seriously over-model, trying to make it
smarter than good was. Additionally, a lot of the data in the database
was in a poorly shape, so there was lots of cleaning to do.

> Which django components did you use?

First of all we use newforms-admin branch, since its a lot more
flexible than the old admin. I've found the branch very stable, and
the developers are good at describing backward incompatible changes.
Besides we use the auth system (works fairly well for 10k members),
and a lot of all the core modules. I found that we only seldom used
generic views, as a get_object_or_404 witha render_reponse was much
more flexible and nearly as easy. The new paginator works as a charm.

On top of that, we use django-mptt to manage hierarchical data. This
is a really neat application, if you need to eg manage a menu
structure. We also use django-cron. The rest is developed by
ourselves, this include:

menu system + breadcrumb (inspired by the pycon-tech system)
static pages (basically a bit like flatpages but with tinymce editor
and options for timed publishing and more)
press release and image archive adapted from one our other website
(www.spacetelescope.org - soon to be running django)
simple mass mailing
reporting

Most of it, we will probably be releasing as open source for others to
use, within the next half year. We need to make another site first,
with some of the same components.

For site wide search we use google search, as it was easier and
faster, and as we are an non-profit organization, we don't have to
show commercials.

> Any gotchas ( things that were unexpected or non-obvious ) you had on the
> way?

Django can get you a lot of the way very quickly, and is a lot more
fun to work with that eg other frameworks for eg Java and PHP. That
said, Django cannot do all, and doesn't pretend to either. Especially
once you start modeling more complex relationships you start to see
what Django doesn't do for you. A simple example is many-to-many
relationships with attributes: Say you want to relate any number of
contacts with any number of groups, with the catch, that a the contact
can have a status within the group (e.g. the contact can be a chair of
the group or just a normal member). The ManyToManyField and the admin
can't handle this, so you have to do your own many to many relation,
and own editor.

Managing hierarchical data in a relational database has always been a
pain. Django-mptt alleviate you from a lot of the pain, however, it
still need a good administration interface (but seems like they are
working on that).

Cheers,
Lars