Django Code wrote:
> #7101: ordering  ForeignKey(self) =FieldError: Infinite loop caused by
> ordering.
> -----------------------------------------------------+----------------------
>    Reporter:  Carl Karsten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |                Owner:
> nobody
>   Has_patch:  0                                      |           Needs_docs:
> 0
> Needs_tests:  0                                      |   Needs_better_patch:
> 0
> -----------------------------------------------------+----------------------
> Changes (by mtredinnick):
>
>   * status:  new => closed
>   * needs_better_patch:  => 0
>   * resolution:  => invalid
>   * needs_tests:  => 0
>   * needs_docs:  => 0
>
> Comment:
>
>  That code was already broken, but you just hadn't noticed. Django is now
>  correctly reporting the error. If you order by the parent, then the
>  parents should be order by their parents and so on. Since that's
>  impossible to encode in SQL, previous versions of Django were returning
>  only a single level of ordering, which was very inconsistent.
>
>  Either remove the infinite loop or use `order_by('parent_id')` if you want
>  a workaround to simulate the previous ambiguous behaviour.

order_by('parent_id') doesn't do anything for the Admin UI, which is where I
'need' this.  I can probably live without it, but the previous behavior grouped
siblings (child with same parent) together, and put the 'root nodes' (no
parent)
at the top.  This was handy.

I can now kinda get this behavior by using the list_filter = ('parent',) but so
far I am finding that awkward.

I think the nature of a site's menu is such that the previous was useful, but I
can see that it wouldn't make any sense for a larger dataset.

So, anyone have any suggestions on how to create something similar?

Carl K