Just after sending this post I had an idea. I could just add a
CACHE_ENABLED boolean setting and test it before pulling out the
cached version. That's for disabling cache.

Any idea about clearing?

I gorgot to mention that I'm using file caching. Do I necessarily have
to manually delete those files, or can Django do that for me somehow?