On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 11:57 AM, jack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Are there any Python/Django methods that represent generic database
>  commands such as creating a new table, renaming or dropping a column,
>  etc.?  My thinking is that if these generic methods existed, so that
>  all I needed to do was specifiy the correct info abt my DBMS in the
>  Settings file, I could create my own migrations as custom Views.  I
>  could invoke these via the web as well after having copied my latest
>  code to my production server.

There isn't anything built into Python or Django, but there are a few
projects running externally to Django that implement this sort of
feature.

Personally, I would recommend Django Evolution [1] - but then, I'm one
of the developers of that project. If you search the django-users and
django-developers archives for "schema evolution", you will find
references to a few other projects.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/django-evolution

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)