I'm working on a application where no data is shared between two
accounts and multiple users share an account. Think backpackit or
sugarcrm.

The application hits the database frequently, many many queries are
performed for each page.

I've considered using the Sites app and just one database with all the
data being filtered for the current site but I think this might be to
slow and may cause additional problems when scaling.

The other option is to create a settings file per account with a
different database per user. Using mod_python, this would require a
python instance per settings file. Data requests would be faster
though I guess.

Does anyone have any experience implementing something like this?

Would like to hear from you.