Hi, Nick,

I would recommend to use webserver tools to route the traffic to different
handlers.
For example, to handle legacy URLs for bsdradius.org I use mod_redirect in
lighttpd:

---------
# legacy urls
    url.redirect = (
        "index\.php$" => "/",
        "about\.php$" => "/about/",
        "doc\.php$" => "/doc/",
        "changelog\.php$" => "/changelog/",
        "license\.php$" => "/license/",
        "downloads\.php$" => "/downloads/",
        "contact\.php$" => "/contact/",
    )
--------

I think that it would not be too complicated to define some prefix for the
old site and some prefix for the new Django powered site and then use
mod_redirect to route the traffic.

Best regards,
Valts.