For the first question, the db-api doc should provide this and more
information, as I am not sure I completely understand, but here goes
(assuming the following models):

class B(models.Model):
    attribute = char()...

class A(models.Model):
    attribute = char()...
    bs = m2m(B)

in your view to get all of the B(s) related to a given A

a = A.objects.get(pk=1)
b = a.bs.all()

if you want to get all of the Bs that are related to 'any' A:
b = B.objects.filter(a__isnull = False)

for question 2, I am not sure what you mean, if you mean can you create a B
without relating it to an A? sure, a related A is not required by B.  If you
do not want to require a B for A just set 'blank=True, null=True' in the M2M
field definition in A.

Not sure if this helps, your original post was somewhat confusing, if you
post relevant snippets from your models you may get more intelligent
-richard