> is it possible to setup python/django and run it on a sql server?

yes, for small values of "run"...you might call it "walking" or
"crawling" (or maybe "limping") rather than "running".

There has been various bits of code that allow for connecting,
but SQL-Server is a bit broken in a number of ways that hobble
Django's functionality.  One of the big ones I noticed was
data-set slicing (SQL-Server doesn't have a LIMIT/OFFSET syntax
other than TOP N last I checked, and requires a lot of
hoop-jumping to get working) which is used by pagination.

Additionally, depending on which interface you use to access the
server (mxODBC, pymssql, ado_mssql, etc), I've encountered
occasional driver-related problems particularly with parameter
escaping.  I usually only hit this in complex queries, but having
experienced what quality *can* be like with the other drivers,
these failings left a sour taste in my mouth for working with
SQL-Server.  This may have just been a problem with the mxODBC
driver that I have on hand, but YMMV.  There was a ado_mssql
backend in earlier revisions of trunk but it was removed in
revision #7364 for lack of maint.

-tim