Not sure if there is a better way (suggestions are appreciated), but I
just use the GenericForeignKey i.e.:

class Asset(models.Model):
     content_type = models.ForeignKey(AssetType)
     object_id = models.PositiveIntegerField()
     content_object = generic.GenericForeignKey('content_type',
'object_id')

class Process(models.Model):
        [...] # irrelevant fields stripped
        assets = models.ManyToManyField(Asset)

I also use this to be able to limit what type of model can be related
in a generic way.  I have a small subset of my total models that are
considered 'assets' (device, location, organization, etc...) The
AssetType table allows me to specify which of my models are considered
'assets' . (This could probably be done with 'choices' within the
'Asset' model, but I like the flexibility of another table.)

class AssetType(models.Model):
     type = models.ForeignKey(ContentType, unique=True)

     def __unicode__(self):
         return ('%s' % (self.type.__unicode__().capitalize()))

HTH,
-richard