Hi Graham--

Thanks again for trying to talk me through this stuff.  Adding a
different SESSION_COOKIE_NAME to my test site fixed the problem of
having to re-login when switching between my active admin site & my
test admin site.  However, the larger problem remains:  changes made
to my test site's models are still not propagating to my test site's
admin pages.  Bear in mind I'm still doing all this w/mod_python, &
that I have two separate VirtualHosts for my main & test sites.
Changes made to the main site's models are still regularly & reliably
showing up in my main site's admin pages.

So I'm flummoxed.  Guess it's a separate test box for me for the time
being.  Thanks for trying though!