As far as the first question, I would create my own group model.  My
reasoning is pretty simple, I create models based on functionality or
purpose of the object.  auth.groups is essentially used to assign
permissions to users, you are really looking to associate users with
other users. So while it could be done, I personally would not do it. I
would create a model called UserGroup or something similar.

As for the second question, you cannot directly do this.  You must use an
intermediate table, and I am not sure what you mean by 'extend the user
model' most people do this with a userprofile model with a one to one back
to user. So assuming you have UserProfile you could have:

UserGame(models.Model):
    user_profile = FK(UserProfile)
    game = FK(Game)
    high_score = integer()