I have what I hope is a simple question here.  I do have a working
solution, but I'd like to know if anyone has any thoughts on cleaner
or perhaps more proper way to do this.

For simplicities sake, lets assume I am trying to make a blogging
service that allows users to create their own blogging portal.  The
portal would allow them point their own domain to my django app, and
the app would figure out what content to load based on the domain
requested.  The Sites app wont work, because it pulls the domain from
the db/settings file.  I need to get the domain from the request and
choose what content to load.

I created a custom manager that does this, but I have to pass a
request object (or just the request.get_host()) with every call.  I
guess what I would like to do is figure out if there is a more elegant
way to get the domain name as it is in the request object, while
inside the manager.  This would avoid having to pass a request object
to it every single time I call it.

If anyone has any other ideas for a different strategy completely, I
would love to hear those as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.