Would it be proper to use the django admin/user system and just extend
it to have staff bios, etc?

We're going to have it setup that our faculty will have admin access,
with limited permissions to login and upload some class lectures (ppt
files), edit their class info, etc. Since they'll already be in the
database for that, what would be the best way to expand that info to
include some other biographical information that'll be displayed
publicly on the site (bio, certifications, awards, education, etc).

I was thinking of creating a new model with the "extra" needed info
and linking it to user via foreign key, would that be the best way to
do it?