Thanks for the information.  I was hoping to use Django for all of the
web application I'm building (which requires a continuous stream of
data to the client rather than poling) though it appears I'll have to
build the streaming portion outside of Django, or perhaps modify the
server behavior to handle the stream URL at a low level in the
server.  I'm not really too excited about having to essentially build
another web server and run it on another port so I'm looking at
modifying (subclassing actually) basehttp.ServerHandler to expose the
output stream.  This seems to work for this low level requirement,
though obviously using the stream directly is dangerous within the
higher level components.

thanks,
  Dave