This is probably due to the module pinax being on the pyhton-path.
This way you don't have to import it.
You can edit the path from python like so:

import sys
sys.path.insert(0, "/path/to/package")

If you install a package using setup.py or setuptools or some other
automatic mechanism, it is usually automatically added to your path.
This may be also true for pinax, although I'm not sure.

Best Regards,

Jesaja Everling