This seems like it should be simple, but I'm getting errors.

I have a model tracking individual purchases. User inputs an item cost
and quantity; I want the total cost calculated. Here are the relevant
parts:

class Item(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(max_length=100)
    price = models.DecimalField(max_digits=9, decimal_places=2)
    quantity = models.IntegerField(default=1)
    total_cost = models.DecimalField(max_digits=12,
                                     decimal_places=2,
                                     blank=True,
                                     null=True,
                                     editable=False)

    def total_cost(self):
       total = (self.price * self.quantity)
       return total_cost(total)

    def save(self):
        self.total_cost = self.total_cost()
        super(Item, self).save()

The error I get is:

NameError at /admin/spending/item/add/
global name 'total_cost' is not defined

Not sure what that means. Thoughts? Am I missing an exceedingly
obvious way to do this?