On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 8:09 AM, --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ---
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> I am also following the Apress book and am trying to implement that
> coltrane stuff .
> am using the latest django from svn
> i got the  ""ImportError: cannot import name parse_lookup "" error
> initially when i used "tagging-0.2.1"
>
> as told above i tried to check out the latest tagging code from svn
>
> and now i simply cant run
> python setup.py install
> it says
>
>  File "setup.py", line 49, in ?
>    version_tuple = __import__('tagging').VERSION
>  File "/home/krishna/Projects/djangoTuts/tagging-r133/tagging/
> __init__.py", line 3, in ?
>    from tagging.managers import ModelTaggedItemManager, TagDescriptor
>  File "/home/krishna/Projects/djangoTuts/tagging-r133/tagging/
> managers.py", line 5, in ?
>    from django.contrib.contenttypes.models import ContentType
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/contrib/contenttypes/
> models.py", line 1, in ?
>    from django.db import models
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/db/__init__.py", line
> 9, in ?
>    if not settings.DATABASE_ENGINE:
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/conf/__init__.py",
> line 28, in __getattr__
>    self._import_settings()
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/conf/__init__.py",
> line 57, in _import_settings
>    raise ImportError("Settings cannot be imported, because
> environment variable %s is undefined." % ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLE)
> ImportError: Settings cannot be imported, because environment variable
> DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE is undefined.

> instead of running the setup file i copied the tagging directory to a
> python path .
>
> while i run python manage.py validate , i get
> Error: No module named validators

Django has been moving very fast in the last few weeks, making it hard to
use latest SVN with any 3rd party app.  django.core.validators was removed
from Django in a commit about 8 hours ago (r8616).  django-tagging will need
to be updated to account for that.  The right place to file an issue for
that or see if someone else has already posted a patch is the django-tagging
project page:

http://code.google.com/p/django-tagging/

Alternatively, you can try backing up your SVN checkout to one from before
that particular piece was removed, but I'm not sure what other
backwards-incompatible changes you might run into.

Karen