On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Bret W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When DEBUG = True, the admin loads just fine.
>
> My problem is that I can't get the admin to fail when debugging is
> turned on, so I can never see the helpful Django debugging page.
>
> Further, I don't believe any objects are passed to the 500 template,
> so I can't display errors using my template. That's why I removed my
> 500.html template -- so that mod_python would throw the (nasty
> looking) error.
>
> I'm trying to figure out a) why the admin is throwing errors only when
> DEBUG=False and b) how I can display the source of the error.

To get the traceback mailed to you, include your userid in the ADMINS list
in settings.py and set the various EMAIL_ settings to specify a valid mail
server and source email id (see
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/settings/#email-host).

I am aware of one problem reported with the admin home page and debug set to
False.  It is:

http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/8110

It's a shot in the dark, but you could try applying the 8110.diff posted on
that ticket and seeing if it fixes the problem.  I have not been able to
recreate this problem myself.

Karen